Monday, August 26, 2013

Air Force Academy Chapel

I took a field trip for the first time in nearly 15 years, and yes, a group bus was involved.  To serve up some inspiration and to get away from the office, our team at work went to the Air Force Academy Chapel!  I have lived in Colorado for most of my life and I can't believe I had never been here.

Designed by SOM of Chicago and built in the 60's, the chapel was very forward for its time and not accepted by the public at first. It is open to all religions and has Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, and Buddhist chapels.  What the chapel is really known for is the Protestant worship space pictured below but the other chapels are quite beautiful as well.  It is interesting because the size of each chapel is relative to the percentage of people in each religion/denomination enrolled in the military.  Here are a few snapshots I took in an attempt to capture the beauty of the stained glass and spires.


Look familiar? This is Olafur Eliasson's One Way Colour Tunnel and I can't help but wonder if he was inspired by the chapel.



And here are a couple of pics of two of the other chapels.  I feel like you never see pics of these but they are also very beautiful!
The Catholic Chapel
The Jewish Chapel


No comments:

Post a Comment